Coming to the topic - what is the Women's reservation bill trying to achieve? - Bring more women to the Parliament. There are many assumptions being made here. A few points to cogitate -
- is giving more seats to women in the Parliament equivalent to empowering women on the street?
- will women legislators necessarily do good to women in general?
- everyone knows the kind of money and power required to get elected to the Parliament. So,
- the women contesting elections are likely to be already rich and powerful
- these women, more likely than not, will be relatives of the male politicians who cannot contest because of the reservation
PS: How can I not have an opinion about this? Opinions are like noses; everyone has one.